Hero saves woman’s life after spotting ‘orange glow’ in window while walking dog

Paul Fullard rang the fire brigade after hearing a smoke alarm going off in a nearby home and spotting an ‘orange glow’ inside while walking his dog in St Helens, Merseyside

A hero saved a woman’s life after spotting an ‘orange glow’ in her home while he was walking his dog.

Paul Fullard rang the fire brigade after he realised the property in St Helens, Merseyside, was on fire during his stroll back home on Saturday, the Liverpool Echo reports.

He kicked down the door and tried to enter himself but was not able to make it inside due to the severity of the smoke.

However firefighters soon arrived and rushed into the home with breathing apparatus, rescuing the woman from a first floor bedroom.

The fire, which started in the kitchen, set off the resident’s smoke alarm and alerted the dog walker.

The woman, who has not been named by emergency services, was not woken by her smoke alarm.

Paul told the ECHO: “When I was passing this lady’s house, I heard all the smoke alarms going off in the house.

“I looked through the window and saw an orange glow which was obviously the explosion in the kitchen.

“I quickly rang the fire services and then banged on the door to see if anyone was home and that’s when the neighbours came out and told me her son had moved out a few weeks ago and she was probably in bed upstairs alone.”

At that point, Paul kicked the door in to try and access the home, however due to the severity of the smoke was unable to enter.

Fortunately, Paul was met by fire crews and four firefighters entered the home wearing breathing apparatus.

They worked quickly to put out the fire and search the property, rescuing a woman from a first floor bedroom and bringing her into the care of paramedics.

The 46-year-old man added: “The woman wasn’t breathing when the fire services pulled her out but they managed to get her breathing again shortly.

“If the police and fire brigade were just another couple of minutes, she likely would have burnt to death.”

The blaze, which started at around 8pm on Saturday (November 13), is believed to have been ignited by an electrical appliance in the woman’s kitchen.

Paul was invited to visit the house the following day to see the extent of the damage which he labelled “horrendous”.

He added: “The downstairs kitchen is absolutely gutted, there is smoke damage throughout the house on everything – bathroom, bedrooms, it was a full house job.

“How she survived I don’t know.”

Paul puts his heroic act down to being in the “right place at the right time” and said he has been “overwhelmed” by the response to his quick-thinking actions.

The St Helens man previously served in the Armed Forces where he was present during the Omagh bombing that took place in August 1998 in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.

He said thanks to his service, this kind of response to alarms is “bred into him”.

Paul said the response from St Helens emergency services was “amazing” and it was “very lucky” that the tenant’s smoke alarms worked.

He said: “It’s just so lucky that she had working smoke alarms, they were a God send for her.”

Group Manager Mark Thomas of Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service attended the incident on Saturday.

He said: “I would like to commend the rapid actions of fire crews that attended the incident on Loughrigg Avenue, St. Helens.

“The courage, integrity, and compassion shown by firefighters to extinguish the fire, search for the occupant and rescue the casualty from the property is a credit to Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service.”