Violent brawl erupts inside McDonald’s as police try to arrest ‘stubborn customer’

Three plain-clothes police officers entered McDonald’s in Wood Green, north London, responding to reports of a difficult customer who refused to leave

A violent brawl erupted inside a McDonald’s branch when three plain clothes officers tried to arrest a man who allegedly refused to leave.

Police were called to the fast food branch in London at around 7pm on Sunday, but the Met says that he ‘refused to engage with them’.

One of the trio of officers can be heard in video footage taken at the scene telling a man dressed in all black to get on the floor.

But when they try to detain him, he fights back – and the ensuing fracas sees chairs pushed out of the way, items fall from tables and customers moving out of the way.

The black-clad male then pushes one of the officers to the floor smacking his head against a barrier.

The agitated man can be heard making a grunting noise as the officers attempt to stop him.

One of the cops then grabs the man in a headlock but is pushed aside and falls on the floor.

Another officer then swings a punch at the man but misses him by mere inches.

The incident took place in Wood Green, north London and was posted on an Instagram account.

The Met has said its Directorate of Professional Standards is looking at the video to see whether the force used by the officers was proportionate.

The fight then spills outside where an unmarked police car with lights flashing can be seen.

One of the officers then uses his baton and the three officers attempt to charge at the suspect.

The video ends as the man who was being arrested goes towards the other side of the road, trying to flee the officers.

In a statement, the Met Police said: “We are aware of a video that is circulating on social media that shows an incident inside a fast-food restaurant on High Road, N22.

“Officers were called to the premises at around 19:00hrs on Sunday, 14 November after receiving a report that a man inside the restaurant was refusing to leave.

“When officers attempted to speak with the man, he refused to stop and engage with them.

“A 21-year-old man was subsequently arrested on suspicion of assault on police and a public order offence.

“The Directorate of Professional Standards are aware of the footage and no misconduct has been identified at this stage.

“Our officers understand that their actions will be scrutinised as they go about their work and that they will be held to account where appropriate.

“Any use of force must be proportionate and reasonable, and where there is any suggestion that it is not, it will be thoroughly investigated and action taken where necessary.”